It doesn’t take a fortune to do something positive for the climate on Earth Day. In fact, many celebratory activities are 100% free. We list a few of these below. For those of you who have money to put where your mouth is, we can also suggest a few good places to invest it. And finally, everybody wins with the Earth Day apps for 2015.
Let’s start with the items that won’t cost you any money but will noticeably enrich your life. Faye Prosser, the Smart Shopper from North Carolina’s WRAL, provides some great free offers from companies this year.
- Anthropologie: Free rainforest crafts for kids ages 5 to 10. Call the store to RSVP.
- American Eagle: Bring your old denim into any American Eagle Outfitters store and receive a 20% discount on a new pair of jeans. Make It Right (founded by Brad Pitt) will shred the unwearable denim and recycle it into UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation (with energy-saving thermal performance and sound absorption) and other great building materials. See more information on their website.
- Caribou Coffee: Unlimited coffee refills in April when you buy the Earth Month Tumbler. See their website for additional details.
- Evos: FREE Organic Milkshake at your local EVOS on Earth Day, April 22nd. See their Facebook page for additional details.
- Pottery Barn: Kids can plant seeds, learn the importance of pollination, decorate a biodegradable pot, and receive a special takeaway. Call store to RSVP. See their website for additional details.
Now if you have a little pocket change you’d like to convert into green investments, try one of these 10 recommended by Ms. Trang Ho in Forbes this week. She lists these solar and other clean energy stock market-traded funds, valued anywhere from 6% to an almost unbelievable 41% year to date and listed in descending order by assets under management:
- Guggenheim Solar ETF TAN
- PowerShares WilderHill Clean Energy ETF PBW
- First Trust NASDAQ® Cln Edge® Grn Engy ETF QCLN
- Market Vectors® Global Alt Energy GEX
- iShares Global Clean Energy ICLN
- PowerShares Cleantech ETF PZD
- PowerShares Global Clean Energy ETF PBD
- First Trust ISE Global Wind Energy ETF FAN
- PowerShares WilderHill Prog Engy ETF PUW
- Market Vectors® Solar Energy ETF KWT
Trang Ho, founder of Key Financial Media LLC, has the juicy details on each of these at this link.
Finally, from heavy.com, you can get involved by just going to the Earth Day 2015 section at the App Store and choose from any of the eco-friendly apps in honor of Earth Day. Apple opened up the section yesterday with this announcement:
“Our commitment to the environment starts from the ground up. We strive to change things for the better and create not only the best products in the world, but the best products for the world. Learn about how to improve the world around you with our Earth Day collections.”