This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Hass Avocado Board featuring Hass Avocados. All opinions are 100% mine.
My absolute favorite food is an avocado. In particular, I love Hass Avocados (much better than my home-state-named Florida avocados, which are a little too light and watery for my taste). I can eat a couple (or more) avocados plain for breakfast or lunch or just a snack any day. But it’s also fun too make interesting recipes with them.
So, when I was dropped an offer to write a sponsored post about avocados, it was a no brainer to accept. How does this related to going green? Well, for one, eating more fruits and vegetables (instead of meat or dairy) is one of the greenest things you can do (perhaps the greenest). Additionally, avocados are native to Mexico and a lot are also grown in California. In our globalized world, that’s pretty “local” to a lot of Americans.
Anyway, as you can see in the title, this post is about an avocado recipe contest, the Kick Off with Hass Avocados Recipe Contest, in which you can win a trip for four to the Rose Bowl (January 2, 2012 in Pasadena, California). The actual grand prize includes tickets to the game, hotel rooms for 4 nights, some behind-the-scenes and photo exclusives, and much more (see the link above). It sounds like an amazing opportunity to be treated like a VIP and enjoy some fun activities. The total value of everything is $12,400! (I hope I win. :D)
What do you have to do to enter?
Well, not much. Go to the link above, of course, “like” Hass Avocados on Facebook, and submit your avocado recipe on the contest page. (Also, note that you will need to submit a photo, so be prepared for that!)
I just entered the contest. My recipe, FYI, is for one of my favorite homemade guacamole dishes. It’s:
- 2 medium or large Hass avocados
- 1 or 2 medium or large tomatoes
- half of a small red or white onion, or a small bunch of green onions
- nutritional yeast
- olive oil
- salt or liquid aminos
- one lemon
How to prepare:
- Mash up the avocados (I usually use a fork to do so).. after peeling of course.
- Dice the tomato(es) and onion(s).
- Pour a little olive oil on the mashed up avocados, add a little salt or liquid aminos (to taste), a tablespoon (or more) of nutritional yeast, the diced tomato(es) and onion, and mix.
- Squeeze lemon juice on top and mix a little more.
- Serve & eat! (I love to eat it on a rice cake or with corn chips.)
Obviously, I think you should enter. Who would pass up on such an easy-to-enter, fun contest with such an extravagant grand prize?
And if you do enter, please share your recipe with us in the comments below!
Photo via jmackinnell