Earth Day may be over for some people, but Earth Day is everyday here on Planetsave (of course). This article is focused on a few products that were pitched to me for an Earth Day post — I ended up going a different route for Earth Day, reflecting on Earth Day and green living rather than writing about green products, as I think that’s more what Earth Day is about. But these are some good-looking products that I think deserve a little attention.
In the past, we’ve published a series of posts on indoor air quality from a true expert in the field, Dr. Mark Sneller. One major area of concern when it comes to this matter is volatile organic compounds or VOCs. Sneller focused a lot of attention on VOCs. They are present in too many household products these days (i.e. paints and lacquers, paint strippers, varnishes, cleaning supplies, air fresheners, pesticides, building materials, and furnishings).
The EPA has pointed out that the indoor air quality is worse than the outdoor air quality in a lot of places, largely because of these VOCs. Studies have actually shown that the level of indoor pollutants can be 25-62% higher.
Here are a few products that cut out the VOCs (for next time you’re in need of such things):
- Mythic Paint: “Mythic paint — the world’s first high-performance, zero-toxin, zero-VOC paint.” I know a fellow green blogger on Important Media was having a hard time finding eco-friendly, non-VOC paint in recent months, and I read that such paint is hard to find these days. This looks like a good option.
- Orchid Ceramics Tiles: all of its products are Greenguard Certified, meaning they don’t emit VOCs or other chemical emissions or toxins. And tile is a good flooring option, itself, because it is easy to clean without toxic substances, it doesn’t trap allergens, it breaks down when disposed of, and it’s made of natural materials.
- Curava Countertops: “Curava is an environmentally-friendly option for countertops that contain recycled glass, clay and seashell materials. Utilizing locally sourced materials and labor in the manufacture of their product, the heat, scratch, and wear resistant surfaces can be used in both commercial and residential applications. Curava focuses on maximizing the recycled content in the product while minimizing the environmental impact of creating their product. They are committed to conserving energy, and reducing carbon emissions, water use, and waste – encouraging a better, greener future.” Look nice, too 😀
- Biokleen All-Purpose Cleaner: Cleaners are top culprits for indoor air pollutants. Luckily, there are a handful of good ones out there now (if you don’t want to make your own). Biokleen is one of them. Biokleen rapidly biodegrades and is ozone safe; uses no artificial fragrances, colors or preservatives; and “has been awarded official Formulating Partnership by EPA’s Design for the Environment for Formulatory Work and Environmental Stewardship.”
There you go. Some good green products that will keep you and your children healthy and are lighter on the environment as well.
- Has Indoor Air Quality Been Getting Better or Worse?
- Best Way to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- Relative Indoor Air Quality Concern of Different Products