I’ve compiling and sharing top green news from around the internet on 7 news pages here on Planetsave for about a month now. Perhaps you’ve noticed that, perhaps not.
I’ve decided to pull out what I think are the top 37 (this number could increase) stories each day and share them in morning posts on Planetsave as well — for those who don’t want to skim through hundreds of stories or who are dedicated to RSS or email news.
Here’s the first one. Monday posts, like this one, will include stories from the previous weekend. Of course, feel free to drop other top stories in the comments if you think I overlooked or discounted one or more.
There’s a key on the bottom indicating what the letters after each story title stand for.
Normally, this section would include stories on solar power, wind power, wave power, and such things, but in the midst of the nuclear crisis in Japan, today’s top 5 are all on nuclear (considered by many to be “clean”).
- Fukushima Crisis Worse for Atomic Power Than Chernobyl, UBS Says (BB)
- Japan Nuclear Leak: Radioactive Water Continues Pouring Into The Sea (HP/AP)
- Unlearned lessons from Chernobyl and Fukushima (LAT)
- The incalculable cost of nuclear power (G)
- Cleanup Will Take Years, Not Months (WSJ)
- China to Cut Nuclear & Increase Solar Power Goals after Japan Crisis (CT)
We’re talking bikes, buses, trains, electric vehicles, alternative fuel, and the like in this section.
- L.A. Mayor: 30 Years of Transit Projects in 10 Years (P)
- Obama pushes for oil use reduction, clean fuel technology (R)
- Cleaner Vehicle Standards Good for Health, Agriculture, Climate (NASA)
- New Video: Guangzhou’s Bus Rapid Transit System (TCF)
- U.S. EPA Makes It Easier to Convert Old Cars to Alternative Fuels (CT)
This section includes environmental, global warming, and clean energy politics news and commentary.
- Downplaying or remaining silent about climate change was and is a blunder for progressives (CP)
- Grand Oil Party continues drumbeat that only ‘drill, baby, drill’ will lower gas prices (CP)
- Activists call for renewable energy at UN meeting (AP)
- Rep. Graves Calls GOP’s Billions In Oil Subsidies ‘Market Manipulation;’ Forgets That He Voted To Extend Them (TP)
- Top 5% in U.S. Own Nearly 2/3 of Everything (EL)
Pretty clear, but rather than strictly stick to science news here, we sometimes include stories that discuss climate science politics, since that is such a critical issue today.
- Can biochar help suppress greenhouse gases? – New study shows biochar to decrease nitrous oxide emissions (CP)
- Unforced variations: Apr 2011 (RC)
- Natural disasters? (G)
- WattsUpWithThat: Psychic seals have evolved ability to predict future climate AND they know it’s cooling – Apparently, the seals believe a debunked theory that Global Cosmic Rays drive climate. Or maybe they just watch Fox News. (CP)
- Soot and global warming (SS)
- Debunking Climate Myths from Politicians (SS)
Green living is green living…
- Transform Your Garden, Transform Your Life: Designing an Edible Garden in Suburbia (EL)
- Science Weekly podcast: Julian Baggini on ‘the self’; plus, how love can save the environment (G)
- How-to: Hold a Trashion/Refashion Fashion Show in Your Town (CAGW)
- Lobster Golf Balls (ES)
- Green Roofs (CP)
More Green Living Stories.
This section includes food news and stories that are related to the environment.
- A “Sin Tax” on Meat Would Improve Our Health and Environment (HP)
- PB and J: a delicious way to fight climate change (ACE)
- Call to tax junk food ingredients to halt obesity (G)
- Martha Stewart’s Vegan Show with Twitter’s Biz Stone, Farm Sanctuary’s Gene Baur, & Veganist’s Kathy Freston (EDB)
- No Quick Subsidies Fix for Food System (FWW)
More Food News and Commentary.
Who doesn’t love cool animal stories? And, of course, if you love animals, you probably want to help protect them from cruelty as well, so we stick a bit of that in here, too.
- Family Dog Credited With Keeping Missing Boy Alive (AOL)
- New to Nature No 36: Ereboporus naturaconservatus (G)
- Sea Turtle Deaths Mount in the Gulf (HP)
- New report exposes racing industry’s dirty secret … (AA)
- David Mizejewski: Hellbender Foot Reveals Power of Photography (HP)
More Animal Stories.
- AA: Animal Aid
- ACE: Alliance for Climate Education
- AOL: AOL — think you know that one
- AP: Associated Press
- BB: Bloomberg
- CAGW: Crafting a Green World
- CP: Climate Progress
- CT: CleanTechnica
- EDB: Eat Drink Better
- EL: EcoLocalizer
- ES: Ecoscraps
- FWW: Food & Water Watch
- G: Guardian
- HP: Huffington Post
- LAT: LA Times
- NASA: NASA — hope you know what that stands for 😀
- P: Planetizen
- R: Reuters
- RC: Real Climate
- SS: Skeptical Science
- TCF: TheCityFix
- TP: Think Progress
- WSJ: Wall Street Journal
Image via PiggBox