Green Cars

Published on October 2nd, 2012 | by Charis Michelsen


The Chevy Volt Beats The Prius Where It Really Matters — The Wallet

October 2nd, 2012 by


The Chevy Volt doesn’t come close to touching the Toyota Prius in terms of popularity and sales figures, but when it comes to energy consumption and emissions? The Volt not only has its hands around the Prius’ throat, but it’s pretty much smashed it into the mud.

Writer Evelyn Lamb did the math comparing the two hybrids, using her parents’ Chevy Volt (which, apparently, they bought instead of a Corvette – awesome!) as her measuring standard:

…in the 11 months of available data, Lamb’s parents drove 10,102 miles, about average for a typical American family. In that time, the Volt ran on just electricity for 9,186 miles, almost 91% of the time, using 2,437 kWh of electricity. This includes almost 40 miles of daily work commute, done almost entirely on battery power.The other 9% required using the gas generator, though in 11 months Lamb’s parents have used just 24.4 gallons of gasoline. I know people who go through that much in a week!

The result — the Volt cost the Lambs just barely over $300 USD for 11 months and 10,000 miles of largely electric driving, and that’s before we even get into emissions. Head on over to our sister site Gas2 for the rest of the story!

Source: Gas2
Image Credit: Gas2

Keep up to date with all the most interesting green news on the planet by subscribing to our (free) Planetsave newsletter.

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author

spent 7 years living in Germany and Japan, studying both languages extensively, doing translation and education with companies like Bosch, Nissan, Fuji Heavy, and others. Charis has a Bachelor of Science degree in biology and currently lives in Chicago, Illinois. She also believes that Janeway was the best Star Trek Captain.

Back to Top ↑
  • Connect!

  • 5 Ingredients For A Green Life

    Green Living Info
  • Advertisement

  • 7 Ways to Go Solar

    Solar Power Growth
  • 8 Electric Car Benefits

    electric car benefits
  • Advertisement

  • 10 Bicycling Benefits

    Dutch Bicyclist
  • Save $10,000/Year Riding Transit

    transit savings
  • Advertisement

  • Electric Cars List (US & Europe)

    Solar Power Growth
  • Top Posts On Planetsave

  • Free News from Planetsave!

  • Tell us Your Sustainability Story!

  • Go Solar

    Want to save the planet? Want to live green? Want to save some serious cash money? Go solar! The cost of solar panels today is at a serious low. Go and get a solar quote and home solar report for your home... and then help save the planet!
  • Search the IM Network