Published on August 24th, 2012 | by Rhishja Cota-Larson16
Rhino Crisis Round Up: World Rhino Day is September 22 #worldrhinoday
August 24th, 2012 by Rhishja Cota-Larson
It’s almost that time again — time to celebrate the five species of rhino on September 22: World Rhino Day!
This year marks the third annual World Rhino Day, with a variety of events and celebrations planned in several countries.
World Rhino Day events
Here’s a sampling of events, listed in alphabetical order, by country:
- Australia: Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo is holding a number of fundraising and awareness activities, including donation buckets at special keeper talks for visitors and Zoofari Lodge guests, a ‘palm-print rhino’ art work installation and more. Funds raised will be donated to the International Rhino Foundation.
- Kenya: The Laikipia Wildlife Forum has planned a “Save Our Rhinos Cycling Competition”.
- Namibia: Save the Rhino Trust plans to raise awareness with presentations, posters, and media announcements.
- Nepal: Partnership for Rhino Conservation (PARC) in Nepal is partnering with other organizations and the communities in the Chitwan National Park buffer zone to raise awareness with posters, presentations, and more.
- New Zealand: Auckland Zoo is celebrating rhinos with rhino chalk drawings, rhino hat giveaways, rhino activity sheets, a display of rhino food and enrichment, rhino encounters, and competitions.
- South Africa: Durbanville Hills Race the Rhino, a mountain bike race organized by the Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT) will take place in Van Gaalen, Magaliesberg, Gauteng.
- South Africa: A three-course “Save the Rhino” menu with wine pairings will be held at Reuben’s, One & Only in Cape Town, with guest speaker Galeo Saintz.
- South Africa: The Rhino Run, a countrywide trail running event organized by Sian O’Keeffe, Thandi Rhino Injection Fund, EWT, and MyPlanet Rhino Fund.
- South Africa: The RhinoSerious campaign together with WESSA will be hosting a concert for conservation at Riverside Mall in Nelspruit to benefit anti-poaching efforts.
- South Africa: A World Rhino Day Walk will take place in George (Western Cape), starting on York Street, and is organized by Facebook groups Save Our Rhino and Outraged South African Citizens Against Poaching.
- South Africa: Rhino Africa will also be organizing an event, so be sure to keep an eye on their Facebook page.
- UK: Save the Rhino International is holding a “World Wino Day” wine tasting event at Vivat Bacchus restaurant, London Bridge, from 5-7 pm on Saturday 22 September.
- USA: Cameron Park Zoo in Waco, Texas, in conjunction with the International Rhino Keeper Association, has organized an awareness-raising event featuring keeper talks, activities and t-shirt sales to benefit rhino conservation.
- USA: The Horns and Heroes Project is having an art show and auction in Orlando, Florida (USA) to benefit the International Rhino Foundation.
- Vietnam: Education for Nature-Vietnam (ENV) is planning to raise awareness online and via social networks.
- Virtual: The International Rhino Keeper Association (IRKA) has announced a membership drive which runs from August 23rd to September 20th. Stay tuned to the IRKA Facebook page for more information.
- Zimbabwe: A parade followed by an address by the Minister of Environment and various entertainment and music will take place at Africa Unity Square, in Harare. The event is organized by the National Parks of Zimbabwe, joined by Save Valley Conservancy, Tikki Hywood Foundation, Environment Africa, Imire Game Park, and RIFA.
What to do
If you’ve organized a World Rhino Day event, add it to the World Rhino Day Event Map!
To learn more, check out:
- World Rhino Day worldrhinoday.org
- World Rhino Day on Facebook facebook.com/WorldRhinoDay
- Twitter hashtag #worldrhinoday
- “Ideas for World Rhino Day“
Remember to send your photos of your World Rhino Day event to: info [at] worldrhinoday [dot] org for the World Rhino Day 2012 highlights video. Deadline for inclusion is September 23rd at 12 midnight Pacific Standard Time. Here is last year’s video:
Keep up to date with all the most interesting green news on the planet by subscribing to our (free) Planetsave newsletter.