Another tremendous video by Peter Sinclair, this one picking apart the idea that solar activity is responsible for global warming.
Some of the key points of the film:
- global warming has increased tremendously as solar activity has decreased (more on that in climate scientist Dr Michael Mann’s TED talk on climate science)
- climate science deniers who have argued that solar activity is changing the climate have cherry picked the data to a ridiculous degree
- cosmic rays show no indication of affecting global climate, despite a mass media frenzy that said it was (based on the misreading of a climate science paper)
- the world is warming most at night and in the Arctic, fitting the theory that the burning of fossil fuels is what’s causing warming, and not fitting the theory that solar changes are warming the Earth
- despite numerous corrections from climate scientists, deniers aren’t likely to stop making false claims
For more on The Great Global Warming Swindle, check out this great video by Sinclair all about that:
So, next time someone tells you the world is warming due to solar activity, point them here (and, also, to Skeptical Science’s work on solar activity changes and the climate).
I'm the director of CleanTechnica, the most popular clean energy website in the world, and Planetsave, a leading green and science news site. I've been covering green news of various sorts since 2008, and I've been especially focused on solar energy, electric vehicles, bicycling, and wind energy for the past few years. You can also find my work on Scientific American, Reuters, Think Progress, GE's ecomagination site, several sites in the Important Media network, & many other places. To connect on some of your favorite social networks, go to zacharyshahan.com or click on some of the links below.