Published on November 21st, 2011 | by Zachary Shahan4
10 More Big Activism Stories
November 21st, 2011 by Zachary Shahan
- Two Finland animal activists who were being prosecuted for undercover investigations of factory farms have been found not guilty on almost all charges. Good news!
- A climate justice youth caravan of approximately 200 young people is headed for Durban, South Africa and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change’s conference (COP-17). “Climate change requires a justice response. We cannot to afford to see it differently. It is not only an economic, but also a moral ethical issue. It needs a response that addresses the injustices it has caused so far,” Paul Mbole, Kenya country coordinator for Norwegian Church Aid, one of the supporting agencies. The caravan’s slogan is: “We Have Faith: Act Now for Climate Justice.” Unfortunately, it seems the rich countries of the world have already given up on a climate change agreement this year (or even for several years to come). The “We Have Faith” caravan will also be providing a concert at King’s Park Stadium in Durban on November 27.
- EDF, the large French state energy company, was fined €1.5 million ($2 million) for spying on Greenpeace by a Paris court this month.
- Mexico City activists fed up with car-centric streets have been drawing their own colored bike lane symbols on the roads. (One of several pictures of the activist effort is above.)
- Playing for the Planet is a great event for climate activism and music lovers that you may want to check out or emulate in your city or region!
- Polar bears, which are invading Canadian towns due to climate change, are a key symbol of global warming and climate change. Some activists have now set up a live feed for tracking and watching polar bears in the region (you can see it below this activism story list).
- D.R. Tucker, an extremely thoughtful conservative who made waves across the internet not too long ago for turning from climate change denial to climate change activist recently wrote a great post on Climate Denial Crock of the Week titled “Occupy Conservatism.” Worth a read, especially if you’re a thoughtful conservative.
- 8 environmental activists were arrested in Charlotte, NC last week for protesting Bank of America’s connection to mountaintop removal coal mining.
- Greenpeace released a shocking video of the tuna industry’s fishing practices at the end of last week.
- Oceana created a petition recently to push for a stop to the “bulldozing of our oceans.” Sign it!
Keep up to date with all the most interesting green news on the planet by subscribing to our (free) Planetsave newsletter.