Published on August 30th, 2011 | by Zachary Shahan1
Daryl Hannah, Greenpeace USA Executive Director, & More Arrested at White House; Tim DeChristopher Sends Letter from Prison (+ Top Activism Stories)
August 30th, 2011 by Zachary Shahan
Climate change and tar sands activism continued at the White House today, with actress and activist Daryl Hannah (also covered by Think Progress), Greenpeace USA executive director Phil Radford, and more concerned citizens getting arrested.
Another big environmental activism story of the day was a letter from Tim DeChristopher from prison. Tim DeChristopher may have been the biggest inspiration for the tar sands action occurring at the White House for a couple weeks right now, and his reflections from prison are definitely worth a read.
And some more reflections on climate activism and civil disobedience on Climate Progress and TreeHugger are worth checking out as well, while we’re on this matter:
- Soul Force: Tar Sands Protest Echoes King’s Civil Rights March
- Why Civil Disobedience is Key to the Climate Movement
Now, here are a few more activism stories beyond this climate/tar sands/civil disobedience realm:
- Cyclists want to ride a century, not wait a century
- Wikileaks reveals US hopes for environmental activism in China
- TrekEast: 7,000 Miles By Foot, Bike & Canoe To Promote Wildlife Habitat Connection, Conservation
- As Taiji Prepares to Begin Dolphin Slaughter, The Cove Diector Creates “Dolphin Project Team”
- Nearly 800 pieces of ivory seized in Hong Kong
- Floridians Respond To Bachmann’s Everglades Drilling Comment: ‘Oil And Drinking Water Don’t Mix’
An, okay, maybe more politics than activism, but here are two more I had to share:
- Energy Secretary Steven Chu: ‘It Saddens Me’ That Political Leaders Don’t Understand Climate Science
- Biden: ‘If We Don’t Develop Renewable Energy, We Will Make the Biggest Mistake in This Nation’s History’
Photo via Climate Progress
Keep up to date with all the most interesting green news on the planet by subscribing to our (free) Planetsave newsletter.