June 22nd, 2011 by Zachary Shahan
This post brought to you by Sauer Energy. All opinions are 100% mine.
Now, you may or may not know, other than working on Planetsave, the place I spend most of my time is working on CleanTechnica, our sister site dedicated to covering topics such as wind energy, solar energy, and energy efficiency. I actually was not much of a tech guy just a few years ago, but I started writing on there two summers ago and slowly became obsessed. Now, I’m considered an expert in the field. Knowing how much I love green living stories, you can imagine how much I love stories that combine both green living AND cleantech!… Well, this is one of those stories.
Sauer Energy has a cool Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) for homes and businesses, which I have actually written about before over on CleanTechnica. When I found out this week that they were interested in having me cover it on Planetsave, I was immediately stoked.
Why Love Wind Energy?
Now, there are a ton of reasons to love wind energy, and I have written article after article on these, so if you want more depth/info on any of the following points, drop a comment below. Some of the most obvious and important reasons are as follows:
- Wind energy is one of the cheapest forms of energy (today!) — while you see all kinds of propaganda on this topic, if you take the full costs of different energy sources into account (the health costs, which we DO pay for; the environmental costs, which we DO pay for; the national security costs, which we DO pay for; etc.), wind energy is clearly much cheaper than these dirtier electricity options (I just wrote a long piece on this yesterday, linked above).
- The cost of energy is rising — additionally, the costs of coal, nuclear, and oil are increasing, while the cost of wind energy is steadily decreasing, so the divide is only going to get larger — I think you get the point.
- Wind energy creates jobs, improves the economy — wind energy is a fast-growing sector and is a sector that is stimulating economic growth and creating jobs wherever it goes. World leaders have identified that a key way to make their countries leaders in the global economy of the 21st century is to delve into cleantech such as wind and solar energy. If you want to help create home-grown jobs, wind is a great way to do so.
Now, the overall point of this is, the future of energy is wind (and also solar), and even the present is wind and solar for those jumping on the bandwagon early.
So, what does Sauer Energy’s VAWT or “Wind Charger” have to offer on this front?
Benefits of VAWT
There are a handful of clear benefits related to VAWTs, and especially Sauer Energy’s Wind Charger. The Wind Charger:
- … can go where no traditional wind turbine can go. In other words, in contrast to the huge wind turbines you are probably familiar with, the Wind Charger can go on buildings and in more urban locations.
- … is one of the most efficient and affordable turbines on the market (and offers a 10-year warranty, which is double the industry standard).
- … like with solar, this wind energy option creates electricity right next to (or on top of) the place where it will be used, so electricity is not lost in long-distance transmission.
- … decentralized electricity gives more power to individuals and communities than to huge, mega-corporations.
- … unlike larger wind turbines, these are much less harmful to birds and create less noise.
Anyway, there are more points one could focus on, but I’ll leave it at that (for now). Any questions or comments? Drop them in the comments below.
Related Story on Planetsave: Go Micro-Wind (Going Green Tip #11)
Keep up to date with all the most interesting green news on the planet by subscribing to our (free) Planetsave newsletter.