News outlets all over the Internet are covering the tremendous 8.9 magnitude earthquake that struck off the coast of Japan today. Scientists have confirmed that it is the 5th-strongest earthquake since 1900, the 7th-strongest on the USGS record, and the strongest in Japan’s history. Here are some more of the top facts on the earthquake and tsunami and some of the top resources for keeping track of the effects and victims. (Note, in particular, a Google tool to help track and find earthquake victims and the Google Crisis Response for the 2011 Japan Earthquake & Tsunami page.)
I will keep updating this page as news and resources come in.
Top Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Facts
- The 8.9 magnitude earthquake struck 250 miles (400km) from Tokyo at a depth of 20 miles.
- At least 139 people have been killed, 539 injured, and 351 are missing.
- The death toll is expected to eventually exceed 1,000.
- ~4 million buildings have lost power in Japan.
- A “nuclear emergency” has been declared due to complications at a major Japanese nuclear power plant. Update (1:10pm EST): “US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the US Air Force in Japan has transported coolant to the plant. Officials say the facility should be back to normal soon.”
- Over 2,800 people have been ordered to evacuate an area near another Japanese nuclear power plant, the Fukushima No. 1 power plant northeast of Tokyo, because its cooling system failed. Update (5:05pm EST): Radiation levels are reportedly 1,000 times the normal level around the plant.
- Evacuation orders now lifted in Hawaii.
Top Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Resources
- Breaking News
- Google person finder and Crisis Response page (linked above)
- BBC Live Updates
- USGS Latest Earthquakes page
- Japan Meteorological Agency Tsunami Warnings/Advisories
- Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
- U.S. National Weather Service Warnings
- Japan Hit with Earthquake, Minor Tsunami Today [UPDATE: MEGAQUAKE]
- Okinawa, Japan Not Considerably Affected by Japan Earthquake & Tsunami
- Hawaii Tsunami News (Top Resources for Hawaii Tsunami News)
- Extreme Super Moon To Cause Major Earthquakes?
- New Zealand Earthquake Kills 65 or More [PICTURES]
- Earthquake in New Zealand (More Info)
- Christchurch, New Zealand Quake Knocks 30 Million Tons of Ice off Glacier
- Chinese Records Shed Light on Earthquake Mechanisms
- Arkansas Earthquakes Linked to Fracking? Two Gas Disposal Sites Suspended
- Mass Bird & Fish Deaths Caused by Hydraulic Fracking & Earthquakes?
- Earthquakes Could Hamper Carbon Sequestration
- Earthquake Simulation Rocks
I'm the director of CleanTechnica, the most popular clean energy website in the world, and Planetsave, a leading green and science news site. I've been covering green news of various sorts since 2008, and I've been especially focused on solar energy, electric vehicles, bicycling, and wind energy for the past few years. You can also find my work on Scientific American, Reuters, Think Progress, GE's ecomagination site, several sites in the Important Media network, & many other places. To connect on some of your favorite social networks, go to zacharyshahan.com or click on some of the links below.